Header Ads

The 25 Credit Cards In My Wallet Right Now

Non-Affiliate Product Disclaimer: The information for the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card has been collected independently by One Mile at a Time. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.


Maximizing credit cards is one of the best ways to elevate your travel. This can include signing up for the credit cards with the best welcome bonuses, using the right credit cards for your everyday spending, and also taking advantage of other credit card perks.

There are a lot of misconceptions about the impact that applying for credit cards can have on your credit score. I have over two dozen credit cards, and my credit score is excellent.

In this post I wanted to first share a brief intro regarding how applying for credit cards impacts your credit score, then I’ll talk about what goes into my credit card decision making process, and then I’ll share the cards I have open.

How Credit Cards Impact Your Credit Score

There are a lot of misconceptions about how credit scores work, in particular people thinking that applying for credit cards hurts your credit score. That’s generally not true, and in many cases applying for cards can even help your credit score.

The beginners guide on the blog has a section about credit cards and credit scores, and should provide some insights on that. For context, I have over two dozen credit cards, and my credit score is in the top couple of percent nationwide.

For those of you not familiar, here are the things that factor into your credit score:

  • 35% of your score is your payment history (the percentage of payments you’ve made on-time)
  • 30% of your score is your credit utilization (how much credit you’re using compared to your total limits)
  • 15% of your score is your credit age (the average age of your open accounts)
  • 10% of your score is the types of credit you use (how many different types of requests for credit you have)
  • 10% of your score is your requests for new credit (how many times you’ve applied for credit)

What’s most important is that you pay your bills on time, don’t utilize too much of your credit (meaning you want to ideally use 20% or less of your total available credit), and keep some cards long term, which will help increase your average age of accounts.

The only metric that’s lowered by applying for cards is your requests for new credit, but that makes up just 10% of your score. Furthermore, credit inquiries typically fall off your report after 24 months.

Closing credit cards that are no longer working for you potentially doesn’t harm your credit much either.

What I Look For In Credit Cards

For me, there are three things I look for when applying for credit cards:

  • They offer a big welcome bonus — often the introductory bonuses on cards are compelling, and enough reason to pick up a new card
  • They offer a generous return on everyday spending — there are some cards you have because they help you maximize the points you earn for everyday spending
  • They offer ongoing perks that more than justify the annual fee — some cards are worth holding onto even if you don’t plan on putting much spend on them, because they offer things like elite status, annual free nights, etc.

The 25 Credit Cards That I Have Right Now

Now let me share what cards I have at the moment. As mentioned above, I have 25 open credit cards right now, which is a few more cards than I had a year ago.

Here they are, broken down by issuer:

My Six American Express Cards


I love the Centurion Lounge access offered with the Platinum Card

My Two Bank of America Cards


The Alaska companion certificate has allowed me to score some great deals on flights

My Two Barclays Cards

  • JetBlue Plus Card — this card offers a 5,000 point bonus on the account anniversary each year, plus a 10% refund on JetBlue points redemptions, which to me justifies the $99 annual fee
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard — in the past I’ve had this card because of the ability to easily earn elite qualifying dollars and elite qualifying miles for spending on this card; this card is no longer worth spending money on, but the new wifi credit and $25 daily food & beverage credit is causing me to hold onto the card for now


JetBlue Plus Card helps me save every time I redeem JetBlue points

My One Capital One Card

  • Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business — I picked up this card several months ago, given that the card earns two Spark miles per dollar spent, and Capital One miles can now be transferred to airline partners; the card has a $95 annual fee that’s waived for the first year


Spark miles can now be transferred to Etihad Guest for first class redemptions

My Nine Chase Cards

Transfer Ultimate Rewards points to World of Hyatt for redemptions at the Park Hyatt Paris

My Four Citi Cards


The Citi Executive AAdvantage Card Admirals Club membership is a great value

My One US Bank Card


In 2016 I stayed at the Radisson Blu Longyearbyen, the world’s northernmost hotel

Bottom Line

Hopefully the above is an interesting rundown of the credit cards I have. I’d like to think that almost all of these credit cards serve a purpose as part of my long term credit card strategy, either because they offer an excellent rewards structure or because they offer perks that make the cards worth holding onto.

There are a few cards that I plan on canceling at their account renewal, though I’ll deal with those situations as they arise.

As you can see, my credit score is also excellent in spite of how many credit cards I have, which should hopefully put some of you at ease who are considering applying for new cards.

How many credit cards do you have right now?

The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (Rates & Fees), The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees), and Marriott Bonvoy Business Card From American Express (Rates & Fees).

The post The 25 Credit Cards In My Wallet Right Now appeared first on One Mile at a Time

Post a Comment

0 Comments